Monday, April 30, 2012

Dream Come True!

I was able to cross something off my bucket list this past weekend and am so happy that I was able to experience what I did! My Mom and I traveled down to the Isle of Palms to watch 7 sea turtles be released after being rehabilitated at the Turtle Hospital located at the South Carolina Aquarium in Charleston, SC. I am obsessed with the little guys and have always wanted to be a Marine Biologist. 

 
This one is Little River. S/he is a Loggerhead turtle and weighs 73 pounds. It was discovered in the Little River in May 2011 with propeller strikes to the shell and a partial front flipper amputated. It was so great to see it be released back into the wild.

The staff and volunteers at the Turtle Hospital work very hard to help these turtles. You can follow the hospital and it's turtle patients on their blog. Click here to check them out! All species of sea turtles are at risk of extinction! Education and conservation are very important to keep them around!

"In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught" - Baba Dioum

After we watched the release, my Mom and I traveled into Charleston to do some shopping and have lunch. I love Charleston and highly recommend the city if you have never been. I love the history and the culture the town has to offer! There is so much to do and see no matter what you are into! 

One of my favorite pictures I took!
 
Waterfront Park is gorgeous! A must see! 
It truly was a wonderful weekend! I spent it in my favorite place doing some of my favorite things! I couldn't have asked for more!!

Hope everyone else had a fantastic weekend as well! Happy Monday!

-Marie

1 comment:

  1. What a fun weekend! I absolutely LOVE Charleston! It's honestly one of my favorite places in the world!

    Hope you had a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete